I had a debate with the Man in the car the other day about what a Christmas carol was – he argued that songs found on a pop station during Christmastime are not carols, just pop songs with a Christmas theme. Upon hearing this nonsense, I checked with my favorite experts on whether or not my favorite songs at this time of year were indeed carols…or not. Both Mr. W. Pedia, and Mrs. G. Oogle both stated a carol is a song with Christmas-themed lyrics that is traditionally sung during the holiday season. The Man will now ask me if I have an itchy nose, and I will say, yes, I do (2 points to those who get that joke, and 4 points to those who agree with me!)
I don’t know about you – but I am the fool singing these in my car loudly for all to hear. I like the traditional, religious ones (I am the Jew singing loudly about Holy Nights, mangers, and Jesus, yes, I am…) and I like the pop and rockabilly ones about romance and presents. Some I prefer sung by the old favorites, but I really enjoy some of the newer versions as well.
Here are my Top 10 Favorite Christmas songs that make it on my playlist every year on Dec. 25 — oh, who am I kidding, they’ve been playing on repeat since about Nov. 27. I hope you enjoy….
10. Jingle Bell Rock – Bobby Helms – this, to me is a classic.
9. O Holy Night – Quiet Company – a quieter version of a song that usually soars (try Celine Dion’s version for that), but this still gets me.
8. The Nutcracker Suite– Brian Setzer -he can rarely do wrong in my eyes. This is no exception, a jazzed up version of a classic.
7. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen – Barenaked Ladies ft. Sarah McLachlan. These artists make everything sound pretty.
6. Christmas Wrapping – The Waitresses – tongue in cheek, total fun.
5. Santa Claus is Comin’ To Town – Bruce Springsteen. The Boss does Christmas, and he does it well.
4. Felíz Navidad – José Feliciano. My Puerto Rican brother, always makes me want to dance.
3. Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree – Brenda Lee
2. All I Want for Christmas is You – Olivia Olson or Mariah Carey – Yes, I’m cheating because it’s two different versions from one of my favorite Christmas movies. It’s what I danced to try to shake the little monkey out of my belly when I was very pregnant and ready to pop, and one of the many songs we dance to now.
1. Baby It’s Cold Outside – Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone. This is the song I most like to sing. Just ask the Man.
I was going to do an Honorable Mentions list…but it grew way too big, so you’ll get another dose tomorrow 🙂