Day Nineteen – Free Write…My Summer Vacation

What’s that you say? Summer just started? Yeah, I know, but for me, vacation is only two weeks long…and those two weeks went by a little too fast for my tastes.  I have to say though, I think I did a much better job at enjoying every moment of every day this time.  That did come at a price though.

I had a lot of grand plans – you know one of those lists that builds up over 6 months, of things you’ve wanted to do but haven’t had time for? I’ve had a mental one of those running since my last 2 week vacation in December when I didn’t finish it.  Sigh…

I wanted to do a bunch of yoga and running during this vacation. Well, I didn’t step foot in the yoga studio. In fact, I scheduled a class, forgot what time it was and totally missed it. Oops.  It didn’t help that I got sick the Monday before my vacation (this always happens) so therefore couldn’t do anything that first week at all.  The plus side of this was that it forced me to sit on my ass….and WRITE.  I did a lot of that during these two weeks and I enjoyed it immensely.  I don’t enjoy the fact that my pants aren’t really fitting but I will be working on that starting tomorrow. Or maybe starting on the 5th of July. Yeah, and by the way, I didn’t run either. I did walk though.  I swear.

I spent a good deal of time by the water. That actually was on my list so… go me! The first Monday of my vacation my sister and I took the little people to Malibu. We saw dolphins frolicking literally 20 feet off shore and it was bliss. As bliss as a beach can be with a little person or two. I’d like to say I got a good picture of those dolphins but I totes did not. Here is Maya looking cute at the beach:

M rocking her Minnie bathing suit and best pink floppy hat

And here is a shot of us in our beach tent (the things we do when we have fair skin…):

Me and my mini – yes I am wearing a sweatshirt because it was breezy and 70.

We also spent 4 days, 3 nights in Santa Barbara. It was a bit tough because M is transitioning for reals now from napping to “rest” in school and her days have been longer.  She got crazy-eyed by 5:00 p.m. At which point I would feed her, give her milk and cookies (okay, the Inn By The Harbor did that) and attempt to cleanse her little sweaty body before bedtime.  That didn’t happen before 8:30…but all in all it was a great trip. She was pretty joyous for most of it, so that meant I was too.

I wanted to clean off my behemoth entertainment center, take pictures of it and sell it on Craigslist. Instead, I sat on my couch and binge-watched Orange is the New Black.  I’ve watched 10 episodes in 2 weeks. Thank you, Netflix.

I wanted to clean off my desk.

My desk is that brown bit there...

Yeah, not so much.

There’s always tomorrow…did I mention I did a lot of writing?

By Joy

I'm 42, a remarried mom of an 8 year old girl and a toddler son, a teacher, and a writer. People tell me I tend to be brutally honest and ...tell it like it is, so I had hoped to use this outlet to keep me sane while I got used to my new life as a stay-at-home Mom back when I was home with my worked. And it's been therapeutic through the end of a marriage and the emergence of me...

1 comment

What's your 2 sense?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.